What Do I Do With This Smart Speaker?
February 24, 2022 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM
Online via Zoom
This is the online page for your class. On this page you will find information about the class, links and resources and the class handout/slides that you can download and optionally print.
Also, the table at the bottom of the page includes online lessons about the topics we will explore during class. Click on the lesson titles to access this additional information.
At the bottom of the page, you will find a sign up form where you can sign-up to receive regular emails from the Senior Tech Club. These FREE emails contains tips and news for iPhone and iPad users.
Did you get a smart speaker as a gift during the holidays? Or maybe you have had an Amazon Alexa or Google Nest device for years but don’t feel you are making the most of this amazing technology as it sits on your counter. This workshop will help you explore this amazing technology and its virtual assistants.
Two leading smart speakers are the Amazon Alexa/Echo/Dot and Google Nest products. Both are not only affordable smart speakers that can fill your home with sound but are also a path to a voice-enable smart home using either Alexa or the Google Assistant.
This workshop will help you explore the capabilities of your smart speaker/personal virtual assistant. The learning agenda in this workshop includes:
- Explore, compare, and contrast the family of products from Amazon and Google. (Hint both are good, have different strengths but share a ton of common capabilities)
- Get to know the virtual assistants, that is, Alexa and Google Assistant.
- Understand basic setup and management functions for each platform.
- Explore common capabilities including questions, trivia, communication, information, productivity, music, and home automation.
- Identify how these smart speakers might work in your new smart home beyond sitting on the counter. How do they connect and work with other devices?
- Examine the privacy concerns around the platforms.
Finally, we’ll learn how to have fun with our smart speakers. They can be a lot of fun and funny if you know how to tickle them with the right words.
This class is for all users of smart speakers from Amazon and Google including the Amazon Alexa/Echo and Google Nest/Home products.
View Class Sides
Download Class Handouts/Slides
You can download the class handout/slides from the link below. If you prefer, you can optionally print the slides for your reference during class.
Additional Information and Resources
Security and Privacy Resources
Amazon Alexa Resources
Amazon – What Do the Lights on Your Echo Device Mean? – Common Question for your Device
Amazon – Alexa Features Help – Listing of Alexa functions broken down by category. Look for music, books, communication and more.
Manage Your Alexa Data – login to your Amazon account required.
Google Nest/Home Resources
Google – Control Google Nest or Home devices by voice Good Listing of Google Assistant Commands broken down by category
Target – 3.5mm to RCA Audio Cable – Connect your smart speaker to traditional home stereos. Available at most big box and electronics stores